Pizza Hut admits ‘human error’ over child with allergy who became ill

pizza hut blackpoolPIZZA Hut has admitted “human error” when a two-year-old child with a life-threatening dairy allergy became ill at its Blackpool restaurant.

Zayaan Hussain went into anaphylactic shock after eating a child’s margherita pizza, it is reported in the Blackpool Gazette.

His father Sayid said he told staff at the restaurant about his son’s allergy and asked them four times about possible cross-contamination, but was reassured that the ‘vegan’ pizza given to his son was completely safe.

But just minutes after eating his meal, the toddler began vomiting and struggling to breathe.

“Even when we received the pizza, I wouldn’t let him eat it before re-confirming that it was definitely dairy-free,l” he said.  “They said it was, so he ate the pizza.

“Ten minutes went by and he just started shutting down. He wasn’t responding to me or my wife. Something wasn’t right.”

Suspecting an allergic reaction, Sajid and wife Samia gave Zayaan his inhaler and a dose of Piriton and called for an ambulance.

“It actually got worse as we got to the hospital. There were talks of him having to be resuscitated. Luckily my wife had the Epipens with her.”

Zayaan spent two days at Blackpool Victoria Hospital and is understood to be recovered.

 

A Pizza Hut spokesman said: “We are in contact with the family involved and are very sorry for what happened.

“We realise it was an unacceptable situation and have already completed an internal investigation with the Hut, which found that the wrong pizza was given to the family as a result of human error.

“We will share the full investigation findings with the Hussain family and are taking appropriate action at this restaurant to make sure it doesn’t happen again.”

Source: Toddler with severe allergy ‘could have died’ due to Pizza Hut staff blunder

Magazine3.com @copy NewspaperTimes - All rights reserved