Manchester nightclubs in stabbing attacks shut down by council

mambosTWO nightclubs in Manchester where separate stabbing incidents took place on the same night have had their licences revoked by the city council.

The incident at Mambos on Dantzic Street opposite the Printworks resulted in the death of Tashan Stevens, 27, whose body was later recovered from the River Irwell.

A licensing review hearing was told that shortly before 3 am on Sunday, July 30, door staff rang police to say there was a ‘riot’ at the club and that knives had been seen and bottles were being used as weapons.

Mr Stevens was chased from the scene by officers. Witnesses reported seeing him fall into the water near Manchester Cathedral.

His body was recovered following a major search by fire crews. He was found to have suffered multiple stab wounds.

Licensing officer PC Alan Isherwood told a hearing at Manchester Town Hall: “The gravity of this incident, in which a young man lost his life, cannot be overstated.”

He said there had been a total of 21 crimes reported at the venue since January 2016 – and door staff had been changed six times.

Other incidents of ‘serious crime and disorder’ included knives being pulled on door staff and an usually high number of assaults on women, which police said officers were ‘not seeing anywhere else in the city. Some of the incidents were not reported to police by club bosses, but by those involved or passers-by.

In one disturbance a week before the stabbing, a man was seen leaving the club before getting involved in a fight, kicking a man while he was on the floor, before being allowed back in.

PC Isherwood said the ‘calibre of clientele visiting the premises was of concern’, including people known to officers and convicted criminals.

Bosses offered to use metal detecting wands to search everyone on entry as well as issuing body-worn cameras to door staff after concerns were raised with them by GMP and the council.

But the hearing was told that when an officer paid a visit, the measures were not in place.

The venue has a second floor, 120 capacity ‘Tiki style’ cocktail bar and a 150 capacity basement club called the Late Lounge, which had “distinctly different atmospheres and clientele”.

Licence holder Anthony Sheridan had offered to close that part of the venue and leave only the cocktail bar open, closing an hour earlier at 2 am.

Anthony Lyons, representing Mr Sheridan, said: “He holds his hands up and accepts the current situation is unacceptable.

“He was perhaps naive in grasping the problems. But it was behaviour of the that small minority who choose to come into city and behave the way they did. Please do not let them determine our fate.”

Councillors revoked the licence, highlighting ‘systematic failings’ in the management.

Town hall chiefs also revoked the licence of the The Spot where a second stabbing happened in the early hours of July 30.

Police said they were called by paramedics to reports a man had been knifed at the Princess Street club. He was taken to hospital, where he was said found to have suffered serious injuries including a punctured lung.

GMP said it was one of a number of incidents over a period of several months, including a 17 year-old girl being assaulted. Complaints has also been made about noise and council inspectors had concerns about fire safety.

No-one from the bar, owned by a company called Zero Deniro, attended the hearing. Officers said bosses had made little effort to co-operate.

Source: Two city centre nightclubs have had their licences revoked after a man died and another was injured

Magazine3.com @copy NewspaperTimes - All rights reserved